WordPress is one of the most widely used content management systems (CMS) for websites. It powers more than one-third of all websites on the internet. Unfortunately, this also makes it a popular target for cyber-attacks. A compromised website can cause significant harm to your business or personal brand. Therefore, it’s essential to take steps to protect your WordPress site from attacks.
Here are some effective measures to safeguard your WordPress site from attack:
- Keep WordPress updated One of the easiest ways to protect your site from attacks is to keep your WordPress installation, themes, and plugins updated. Updates often include security patches and bug fixes, which make it harder for hackers to exploit vulnerabilities. You can enable automatic updates to ensure you’re always running the latest version of WordPress.
- Use strong passwords Using strong passwords is another essential security measure. Avoid using passwords that are easy to guess or using the same password for multiple accounts. Ideally, your password should be at least 12 characters long and include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Implement two-factor authentication Two-factor authentication (2FA) is an added security layer that requires users to provide two forms of identification to log in to your site. This could be a password and a code sent to your phone or email. Implementing 2FA significantly reduces the likelihood of your site being hacked by adding an additional level of protection.
- Install a WordPress security plugin A security plugin can help protect your site from common attacks by providing features such as malware scanning, login attempts monitoring, firewall protection, and spam filtering. Some popular options include Wordfence, Sucuri, and iThemes Security.
- Limit login attempts Limiting the number of login attempts can help prevent brute force attacks, which are when hackers try to guess your login credentials by repeatedly attempting to log in. You can use a security plugin to limit the number of login attempts, or you can add code to your .htaccess file to achieve the same result.
- Use HTTPS Using HTTPS encrypts communication between your website and visitors’ browsers. HTTPS protects sensitive information such as login credentials, credit card numbers, and other personal information. You can obtain an SSL certificate from your web host or use a free service such as Let’s Encrypt.
- Disable file editing WordPress allows users to edit theme and plugin files from the dashboard. While this feature is convenient, it can also be a security risk. If a hacker gains access to your site, they could use this feature to modify your site’s code. To disable this feature, add the following code to your wp-config.php file:
define( ‘DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT’, true );
- Backup your site regularly Creating regular backups of your site is essential in case of a hack or other disaster. There are several WordPress backup plugins that can automate the backup process. Alternatively, you can use a manual backup process that involves copying files to a remote location.
- Use secure hosting Choosing a secure hosting provider is crucial to your site’s security. Your hosting provider should offer reliable uptime, daily backups, malware scanning, and firewalls. You should also ensure that your hosting provider offers support for the latest versions of PHP and MySQL, which are required to run WordPress.
- Remove unnecessary plugins and themes Plugins and themes can pose a security risk if they’re outdated or contain vulnerabilities. It’s essential to regularly audit your site’s plugins and themes and remove any that you’re not using or are outdated. This can reduce the attack surface of your site and make it harder for hackers to find vulnerabilities.
In conclusion, protecting your WordPress site from attacks is crucial for maintaining its integrity and keeping your visitors’ data safe. By implementing the measures outlined above, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of your wordpress being hacked.
At Silentblast, we offer best of class WordPress Care Plans.
Let's discuss your next project!
Silentblast is a local Toronto Website Design and Development Company with a key focus on Organic Search Engine Optimization.
Silentblast is a Toronto based full-service Web Design & Digital Marketing company with 14+ years of experience. We have been rated on Google 5 out of 5 by more than 40+ customers. We are professional Wordpress web developers with a reputation as one of Toronto's TOP companies for design and development. We're thinkers, innovators, strategists and we determined to help your business reach its online goals. Discover 10 Reasons to choose Silentblast. We service Toronto, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Oakville, Scarborough, Newmarket, Barrie, and all of Southern Ontario.
In the Toronto area call 1-416-900-0869 or Contact Us
Share This Post
More Recent Posts
The Anatomy Of A Good Website
Personal Branding And What It means
How to make great graphics using canva for images on blog posts
TALK TO AN EXPERT
Book a FREE, no-obligation strategy session
to speak with a website & marketing strategist.